In a series of blog posts, we are pleased to be showcasing the winners of the 2016 Canadian Fairtrade Awards. The Canadian Fairtrade Awards recognize exceptional Fairtrade supporters and are an opportunity to celebrate all of the great work done in the year by businesses, organizations and individuals.
It is notable that our next featured winner has won several Awards in past years, and this year again took home two awards – Retailer of the Year and Excellence in Merchandising. Federated Co-operatives Limited has over 300 food store locations in communities across Western Canada and excelled in all aspects of retailing and merchandising Fairtrade products.
Here are more details about why Federated Co-operatives Ltd won these two awards:
- Their key value of responsibility corresponds to Fairtrade – offering to their customers Fairtrade products which are responsibly produced while exemplifying fair business practices.
- As a co-operative itself, Federated Co-operatives Ltd recognizes and supports the benefits that producer co-ops can have on communities in the Global South.
- Federated Co-operatives Ltd strives to grow awareness of Fairtrade products and practices, through consumer education and excitement, increased product offerings and enhanced social media presence.
- They offer fair trade products in 6 categories, with over 70 products from 19 different brands. Their Co-op Gold Pure Fair Trade Dark Chocolate won a Retail Council of Canada Canadian Grand Prix Award.
- As an active participant in Fairtrade Month, many stores supported Fairtrade with displays and materials, while 43 stores volunteered to be Champions of Fairtrade with in-store demos and giveaways. Flyers, social media and other online coverage enhanced their participation.
‘We are very pleased and excited to be recognized again this year for our commitment and support to Fairtrade. We look forward to continuing our collaboration with Fairtrade Canada in the year ahead’ Kelly Herdin, Food Marketing Manager.
For more information please visit our page about the Canadian Fairtrade Awards.