SUPERVISOR: Reports to the Executive Director
CLASSIFICATION: Full time
PRIMARY WORK LOCATION: 250 City Centre Ave Suite 800, Ottawa, ON K1R 6K7
Fair Trade is a movement for change that works directly with businesses, consumers and campaigners to make trade fair for farmers and workers in the global South. The international Fairtrade system is the largest and most recognized ethical certification in the world. Fairtrade Canada is an independent, non-profit organization that manages the use of the Fairtrade brand on products in Canada, promotes and advocates for fair trade with Canadian businesses and citizens.
Established in 1997, Fairtrade Canada is the Canadian member of Fairtrade International and contributes to the international Fairtrade certification system by:
- Increase sales of Fairtrade certified products in Canada
- Maximize the benefits of fair trade for farmers and workers
- Support Fairtrade International's global work
- Work with like-minded organizations to educate Canadians about fair trade.
We seek a talented and committed Communications and Marketing professional with strong commitment to detail, excellent communications skills, with corporate and consumer marketing experience to join our Fairtrade team. Ideal candidates would be proactive, creative and possess a high degree of energy and enthusiasm for the role.
Fairtrade Canada’s Communications and Marketing Manager will be responsible for the communications and marketing strategy, encompassing also the oversight of outreach and media relations. This position will oversee our engagement with consumers and businesses and will lead national campaigns from ideation to delivery. This position will work closely with the Executive Director on messaging and public relations. The Manager will also oversee Fairtrade Canada’s outreach programs (such as Fair Trade towns, Fair Trade campuses, etc) and work closely with our partners in their implementation.
The Manager will directly manage the Communications Specialist – responsible for Social Media implementation and other communications workstreams. The Manager will also work closely with the Digital Manager for alignment of web strategies. The Manager will work closely with the Director of Commercial Relations.
The position reports to the Executive Director and serves as a member of the management team. This position participates with the Executive Director and other management team members in charting the direction of the Organization, assuring its accountability to all constituencies, and ensuring its effective operation.
Marketing and communications
- Responsible for creating, implementing and measuring the success of a comprehensive marketing, communications and public relations strategy to deliver Fairtrade Canada’s message, help grow the recognition of Fairtrade in Canada with the general public, and facilitate internal and external communications; and,
- Ensure articulation of Organization’s desired image and position, assure consistent communication of image and position throughout the Organization, and assure communication of image and position to all constituencies, both internal and external.
- Responsible for editorial direction, design, production and distribution of innovative educational and promotional material and all organization publications.
- Coordinate media interest in the Organization and ensure regular contact with target media and appropriate response to media requests.
- Coordinate the appearance of all Organization print and electronic materials
- Ensure that the Organization regularly conducts relevant market research and coordinate and oversee this activity. Monitor trends.
- Act as the reference point to ensure consistency in the corporate branding in line with Fairtrade International guidelines
- Lead on various marketing activities and promotions including Fair Trade Campus Week, Fairtrade Month, Canadian Fairtrade Awards, World Fairtrade Challenge, and special campaigns;
- Monitor and report on the effectiveness of outreach campaigns and promotions and provide documented insight to adjust activities as necessary;
- Continuously monitor the best way to engage with the Canadian public and coordinate attendance as necessary (for example, social media, consumer shows, collaborative events, conferences, sponsorships and speaking opportunities); represent Fairtrade Canada, as appropriate;
- Develop partnerships both external and internal for community outreach purposes with particular attention to member civil society organizations;
- Responsible for CRM management, maintenance and integrity of marketing, communications and outreach programs records
- Carry out additional assignments as required by the Executive Director.
- Work with partners to oversee the development, management and expansion of Fair Trade Programs;
- Liaise with international partners such as National Fairtrade Organizations to further develop Fair Trade Programs and outreach campaigns;
Staff & Budget Management
- Responsible for the support, oversight, professional development and retention of Communications & Marketing staff
- When appropriate, recruit, train and manage/supervise suitable interns and/or volunteers to support communications and outreach efforts
- Responsible for the construction, monitoring, implementation and reporting of the Communications and Marketing annual budget.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in marketing, communications or public relations with demonstrated success in leading large regional or national campaigns.
- Demonstrated experience in developing a successful marketing communications plan including strategy, goals, budget and tactics – ideally experienced both with B2B and B2C segments
- Demonstrated experience in developing a media and public relations strategy and/or successfully positioning an organization, product or company in traditional media
- Demonstrated experience in managing, hiring and training staff for solid team building and external contributors for results delivery (graphic designers, PR agencies, translators, printers, etc).
- Demonstrated successful experience writing press releases, making presentations and negotiating with media.
- Experience overseeing the design and production of print materials and publications.
- Excellent bilingual French and English written and oral skills
- Open-minded and approachable with a sense of energy and enthusiasm that motivates and empowers others
- Exceptional administrative, organizational, and project management skills.
- Excellent ability in organizing group thoughts and identification of next steps.
- Excellent relationship management and problem solving skills.
- Must be able to work independently and efficiently, detail oriented.
- Ability to think creatively and in a group dynamic.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications or public relations preferred. Graduate degree in a related field is desirable. An extra 3 years of strong professional experience can be taken in lieu of completed degree.
- Experience in graphic design and Adobe Suite tools, including InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop.
- Strong personal values aligned with Fairtrade Canada’s mission of fair terms of trade and empowerment for farmers and workers in the Global South – committed beliefs towards social justice and sustainability.
- Knowledge of social justice, international development or other justice movements.
- Knowledge and experience in the retail, mass-market or food sectors is an asset.
Commensurate with experience.
In addition, Fairtrade Canada offers an excellent benefits package, a fun team, a flexible work atmosphere and free-flowing Fairtrade coffee and teas. Occasional travel required within Canada (2-3 trips/yr) and internationally (1/yr).
How to Apply
A detailed letter describing your communications and marketing credentials, interest in the position, salary expectations, and a current curriculum vitae should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
All applications must be received no later than midnight Sunday, March 4th, 2018