The Flower of Ecuador
Ecuador is one of the biggest producers of roses on the planet. On just under 4000 hectares of land 404 varieties of roses grow 2000 metres above sea level on the plains of the Ecuadorian Sierra. The unique climatic and geographic conditions of the plains allow roses to be grown at a consistent temperature year round. This consistency has given Ecuadorian roses an excellent reputation for having long stems, bright colours, and an extended vase life. Ecuadorian roses are enjoyed world wide and are sold in more than 90 countries.
Ecuador's flower industry began to experience large scale growth in the early 1990s. Currently, there are approximately 700 companies employing more than 70,000 people directly with a further 250,000 people employed in industries that support or benefit from the flower industry.
HOJA VERDE S.A. is a family owned business located in the famous “Cayambe- Ecuador” valley. This area is privileged with the ideal climatic conditions for growing flowers and roses. This area of Ecuador is considered one of the best places in the entire world for flower cultivation. HOJA VERDE maintains high environmental standards in order to protect the physical environment for future generations and ensure that they will be able to continue growing beautiful, resilient flowers for years to come.
Fair Trade Impact
Hoja Verde is always striving to improve the welfare of their workers and their community. Thanks to the hard work and dedication of the Hoja Verde Joint Body (of workers and management) several sustainable social projects have been implemented. Examples of some of the projects and programs implemented include:
- Relibale quality medical assistance for workers, their families and members of the community including first aid, disease testing and paediatric services.
- Scholarships for school and a system allowing workers and community members access to credit.
- Supermarket facilities which allow workers and community members to purchase staple foods at reasonable prices.
- Education facilities which include a computer center allowing for the continued development of valuable skills and knowledge
- The establishment and maintenance of a fund which provides assistance for the purchase, repair or improvement of housing.
- The creation of an information sharing system that allows employees and community members to keep abreast of trade, social and cultural activities taking place in or affecting the community and/or cooperative.