Continuing our series of posts looking at the winners of the Canadian Fairtrade Awards, today we’re looking at a double winner – Ethical Bean Coffee.
The Licensee of the Year Award recognizes outstanding contributions to promoting the Fairtrade system and Fairtrade certified products in Canada. The Excellence in Public Outreach Award recognizes events/activities that promote awareness of Fairtrade and create successful public engagement for Fairtrade-certified products.
Some notes about what made Ethical Bean a double winner:
- One hundred percent of the company’s coffees – 8 different roasts, including 100% compostable pods – is certified Fairtrade.
- Each bag of Ethical Bean Coffee has a unique QR code on the back, allowing consumers to trace their beans from crop to cup. People can learn who roasted the beans, see detailed information on the Fairtrade co-op where those beans are from, read interviews with farmers and more.
- Ethical Bean holds regular in-store demonstrations – shoppers love free coffee, and this creates an opportunity to talk about Fairtrade and its benefits for farmers and workers.
- They distribute Fairtrade promotional materials to retailers, and regularly post about it on their social media platforms.
- The company very actively participated in the World Fairtrade Challenge, reaching almost 9000 people through in-person and online initiatives.
“If our company was not Fairtrade certified, then we would have a completely different brand. All that we stand for as a company revolves around fairness and going that extra mile to do our part as an organization.”
The Canadian Fairtrade Awards recognize exceptional Fairtrade supporters and are an opportunity to celebrate all of the great work done in the year by businesses, organizations and individuals.