Saturday March 2nd saw a large crowd gathered at the Lowertown Brewery in Ottawa for the presentation ceremony for the 2018 Canadian Fairtrade Awards.
This event, held in conjunction with the 7th annual National Fairtrade Conference, honours businesses, groups and individuals for their contribution to the fair trade movement. Fairtrade Canada has been presenting these Awards annually since 2012.
We would like to thank our panel of volunteer judges for their time and energy spent evaluating all the excellent applications that were received:
- Denise Byrnes: Executive Director of Oxfam-Québec
- Kasha Huk: Country manager of B Lab Canada
- Kuldeep Singh Chauhan: CEO of Fairtrade’s Network of Asia & Pacific Producers (NAPP)
- Shabnam Weber: President of the Tea and Herbal Association of Canada
And now, the winners – listed in the order they were presented during the ceremony:
- School of the Year - COLLÈGE DE L’ASSOMPTION
- For engagement in their school through in-class lessons and a Magasin du Monde.
- New Product of the Year - KICKING HORSE COFFEE COLD BREW
- For using Fairtrade as a market differentiator, widespread distribution and excellent promotion.
- Event of the Year - LA VENTE-TROTTOIR ÉQUITABLE DE TROIS-RIVIÈRES
- For drawing hundreds of people to a well-promoted ethical event and engaging them in a dialogue about social justice issues.
- Retailer of the Year - CHOICES MARKETS
- For their commitment to stocking Fairtrade products, as well as educating their staff and customers about the fair trade movement.
- Campus of the Year - UNIVERSITY OF CALGARY
- For their excellent events and commitment to sustainable purchasing practices.
- Product of the Year - ETHICAL BEAN’S SWEET ESPRESSO
- For being a long-term customer favourite available across Canada, with radical transparency about supply chains.
- Excellence in Producer Partnership - RGC COFFEE
- For believing that the quality of their product should reflect the quality of life of the producers, and an ongoing commitment to several social projects.
- Workplace of the Year - OXFAM QUÉBEC
- For excellent promotion of fair trade to staff and clients.
- Excellence in Education and Public Outreach - MCIC FOR THEIR FAIR TRADE WINED-UP - INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT WEEK
- For challenging participants to build new initiatives around fair trade.
- Licensee of the Year - CAMINO, LA SIEMBRA
- For their commitment to Fairtrade products, their active voice advocating for fair trade, and overall commendable work.
- Town of the Year - TROIS-RIVIÈRES
- For excellent community-wide commitment to fair trade, through municipal engagement, events and more.
- Fair Trade Campus Week All-Star – HUMBER COLLEGE
- For their impressive digital and in-person engagement during our annual Fair Trade Campus Week.
- Fairtrade All-Star – GIADA SIMONE
- For being a true advocate for fair trade, through our Ambassador program, and many other initiatives.
- Lifetime Achievement Awards – JEFF & DEBBIE MOORE, JUST US! COFFEE ROASTERS
For pioneering fair trade in Canada through a commitment to social justice in many forms.